I went insane for this last summer in San Sebastian. This scrumptious spread is perfect on just about anything. It can keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge in a mason jar and actually is better the day after you make it. This is a pretty classic recipe, but please improvise on the spices. I love basil but parsley and scallions are delicious too!
- 3 red bell Peppers
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 T dried Basil
- 1 T dried Thyme
- 1 t Pimente d’Espilette (you can use cayenne Pepper)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Putting it all together
- Cut the Peppers in half, deseed, trim the ribs and place on a baking dish covered in foil.
- Distribute the Garlic, Basil, Thyme, and Chili Pepper, Salt and Pepper and drizzle with Olive oil.
- Tightly close the foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, but leave the Peppers to cool in the oven, with the package still closed.
- Drain, but keep the juices and remove the skin.
- Strain the juices and pour over the Peppers
- Put in a jar to store overnight.
Serving note: I like to purée the entire mixture or just give it all a rough chop. This makes it more of a spread .