I have a theory that if you grill something, it will taste better. Even the worst cook can grill and have culinary success. Case in point, my mother—a brilliant sandwich maker and grill master, but cook? Sorry, Mom.
So, how to grill vegetables so they turn out just right every time? Well, no one is perfect, but I have found a way of making the best grilled vegetables and it produces flawless results—most of the time.
anything tastes better grilled!
Thanks to the grill pan, we apartment dwellers are not left out during grill season, and can even make it last year round.
I love my cast iron grill pan, and before I had a toaster I even grilled bread (gluten free of course).
WHY? A cast iron pan is inexpensive, and as it ages, it makes the food taste even better. It’s also easy to clean and provides extra iron to the diet. (Most of us ladies can use a bit of extra iron in our diets.)
Keep in mind that a true cast iron pan cannot be cleaned with soap or it will loose its seasoning and will rust. To clean, make a paste from a corse salt like kosher salt or sea salt and water and rub with a nylon scrubber. Then season again with olive oil and put in the oven on low for about 30 minutes.
Following is my foolproof method for grilling vegetables on the grill pan. This recipe will work for most vegetables, if not all.
Happy grilling . . .
the best grilled vegetables
Grilled Veggies with Sweet Basil Lime Dressing
1 Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 portabella mushroom, sliced
1 fennel, stalks removed, sliced
Marinate the veggies for at least 10 minutes in the Sweet Basil Lime Dressing below.
1) Heat the pan super hot
2) Oil the pan lightly with coconut oil (try the Kalapo coconut oil spray or rub some on a paper towel)
3) Lay the veggies out at an angle and do not crowd the pan– this makes the nice grill marks
4) Wait at least 3 minutes before turning over (veggies take anywhere between 2-5 minutes depending on thickness)
Sweet Basil Lime Dressing (marinade)
1 bunch basil, washed and de-stemmed
3/4 cup high-quality extra virgin olive oil
1/2 freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. maple or honey (optional—depending on the desired outcome; do you want sweet or savory?)
White pepper and salt to taste
- Place the basil, lemon, and maple or honey in a blender.
- Turn blender on, starting slow and increasing speed to high and slowly drizzle the olive oil into the blender, emulsifying the ingredients.
- The dressing will be thick. You can thin with a bit of water or a bit more olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you have a fool proof or fantastic way to grill veggies please share it in the comments below! Sharing is caring.