Gluten Free Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
4 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 cups brown rice OR quinoa elbow noodles
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups rice milk
1/3 cup brown rice flour OR quinoa flour
2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon chopped sage (fresh or dried)
6 ounces raw goat Cheddar cheese (or any raw goat cheese OR vegan cheddar cheese)
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
½ teaspoon paprika (to sprinkle on the top)
*all ingredients are organic and NON-GMO
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 2-quart baking dish OR 4 small ramekins with butter.
2. Meanwhile, bring about 6 cups of salted water to a boil in a large saucepan.
Add squash and bring back to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer until tender—about 8 to 12 minutes. Mash the squash, and set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the noodles. Cook for about 6 minutes –
you want them UNDERCOOKED – Gluten free noodles get mushy very fast.
Drain the noodles and set aside, saving about ¼ cup of the cooking water for the to thin the sauce if you need to
4. Whisk 1 cup of the rice milk, mustard, sage, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth and set aside
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add remaining 2 cups of rice milk and bring to a simmer.
Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering milk, whisking constantly. Continue to cook just until the mixture bubbles and thickens, then turn the heat down.
6. Whisk the cheese into the thickened milk mixture until it is melted. Add the mashed squash and whisk until combined. Stir in the noodles and mustard mixture.
7. Transfer to the baking dish or mini casserole dishes and top with paprika.
8. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until bubbling and brown on top.
Eat slowly and savor the nostalgia. Eyes closed is optional.