What do I REALLY need in my kitchen?
Cooking tools and equipment…
“Experts” everywhere will encourage us to buy complete sets. They look fantastic, appear to be a bargain but I promise, they will only create more clutter.
My solution: BUY SELECT PIECES
Impulse items like and an avocado slicer or a banana sling are SO tempting us. They are fun and look so ingenious! But I promise, a “measure up” plate or an “olive oil mister” will not make you skinny or shave time off of your day. Buying impulse Items will only create clutter.
My solution: LESS IS MORE
I am a fan of less is more, both in my wardrobe and in my kitchen. Spend money on quality and good cooking tools and equipment. It will and it should last a lifetime. Collecting kitchen pieces over time, will ensure that you will have exactly the items that YOU need and that work the way that YOU cook. Not how Mario Batali or Julia Child cooks. Although that would be lovely, wouldn’t it?
To follow is my breakdown of a semi-minimalistic starter kitchen.
Nicely stocked, semi-minimalistic-starter-kitchen
You truly only need 3 knives.
I have a Henckels 8 inch basic knife. I’ve tried many others, but I always go back to this one. I like to keep my knives on a knife magnet. (If you have kids, I suggest you get locked covers and keep them in a drawer.
- Kitchen sheers. Otherwise known as scissors. (I use them often. My mother uses them in lieu of a knife)
- One Set Metal Tongs, with silicone tips (can forgo all other spatulas if you have these)
- One Citrus squeezer
- One Microplane Fine Grater (this impresses everyone and elevates your cooking to new heights!)
- One Vegetable peeler
- One Mesh strainer, medium size
- 1 good cutting board
- Mixing Bowls – 3 of each bowl in 2 sizes. Medium and large. Also, tiny glass bowls for prep
- One Small saucepot
- One large saucepot for stock or soup and/or one Dutch oven – can also roast veggies in this
- One medium saute pan (you can get away with this one if you are just starting out)
- One large saute pan
- One little saute pan
- Lids – keep 2 maximum! There is no need for a lid for every pan (the pros know this)
- Cookie sheets / ½ sheet pans (at least one, 2 would be best) use for roasting.
- One Chantry knife sharpener (you MUST keep your knives sharp)
- Optional – one grill pan.
- 1 Silicone or Metal Spatula depending on your pans (or have both)
- 1 Flexible Rubber/silicone Spoon (I do not like wooden spoons)
- Flat strainer – this is extremely good for scooping out veggies or noodles
- 1 Set dry Measuring cups
- 1 Set Measuring spoons (I like metal)
- Large and small Pyrex pitchers for wet measures
- Set of oven mitts
- Blender! I love my blender. If I had to choose between the blender and the food processor, I would choose the blender. Choose a blender with out a screw bottom! Email me for suggestions on Blenders
- Vitamix! I love my Vitamix – you have to get yourself one
- An Electric kettle. Quick boil expedites water heating and better for the environment.